Monday, June 30, 2014

I am a digital immigrant


dork : Goofy senior woman head and shoulders portrait   Stock Photo
"I love using the Tweet!"

I am certain that I am a digital immigrant in spite of trying to be "cool" with technology. (Clearly, I am totally outdated, but I try!!!) I find that the more I try to use technology, the more it backfires, but since I have some nice new updates with our recent renovations at Norton High School, I've taken on more than ever this year.  We now have Smartboards in all of our classrooms, and once I got past reaching for my whiteboard markers instead of my digital marker, it started to go uphill.  For starters, my students signed me up for Twitter, and now I am obsessed.  I have the kids tweet me their favorite Spanish songs, links to latino authors and artists, and provide feedback about their homework.  The problem is that I tweet all day and all night long, much to the chagrin of my husband and two boys.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I got my first iPhone, and now I have other exciting social media outlets like Vine and Instagram.  I try to take one picture and end up holding down my camera's button too hard, snapping at least 36 pictures at a time.  It takes me forever to post on Instagram, but I've managed to put up a smattering of pictures of flowers and my family.  The nice thing about being an immigrant and teaching in a high school is that the kids really help me with all things digital.  They also keep me posted on the necessary lingo, such as thot (that hoe over there), sus (suspicious), and being huud.   I find that it's nice to be an immigrant; I don't really want my passport into the full technology world.  It's a lot of pressure and very time consuming, as "using the Facebook, the Tweet, the Instagram, and the Vine" have shown me.  I like being an "InstaGrandma."  When I was driving a former NHS student- our most spirited graduate- home from the senior play this year, unbeknownst to me, he recorded me for his nightly YouTube video.  (Well, you hear my voice.)  That's about all the publicity I can handle at this point.  I can't seem to link in that particular video, so here's another one instead of our famous weather magician, Peter.





No comments:

Post a Comment